Learning to Love the Performing Arts
“It is in Apple’s DNA that technology alone is not enough—it’s technology married with liberal arts, married with the humanities, that yields us the results that make our heart sing.”
–Steve Jobs, in introducing the iPad 2 in 2011
TOP CALIBER TEACHERS AND FACULTY
Performance WorX’s ultimate goal is for our students and our community in and around the Pine Belt area to develop a love of the performing arts. We want to make a cultural and aesthetic contribution to the creative life of this area and our world. Our conservatory approach inspires our students to become life-long and generational patrons of the arts as well as vital contributors to the artistic life of our community through excellent training, community service, and performance opportunities.
Performance WorX provides performing arts education, enhanced technology for artistic expression, and a creative environment for real, inspired expression. Our environment and culture promote a spirit of artistry through lessons, classes, concerts, recitals, showcases, workshops, and conferences on the amateur, semiprofessional, and professional levels.
The experienced and well-trained instructors at Performance WorX give highly individualized attention to their students. Our goal is to meet our students at the point of their need, discover their innermost hidden talents, and to draw them to their highest level of artistry, whether that be personal enjoyment, performance coaching, or professional endeavors. Our diverse faculty is experienced in working with artists at all levels, whether novices or professional performers, and all levels in between!
This is why Performance WorX truly is the place “Where the Arts Come to Life!”
"Where the Arts Come to Life!"
Performance WorX (PWX) started as a broad ranging home-based performing arts studio and has become a full-service performing arts conservatory serving the Hattiesburg, MS and surrounding Pine Belt area. Having operated since 1995 as a one-man piano/voice studio in the home of its founder, Doug Broome, Performance WorX now boasts a wide-ranging, experienced, professional faculty, most of whom have completed degrees in their teaching field. The studio has expanded within the home-studio model to encompass several teaching spaces, accommodating over 100 private lessons per day and small group classes. A wide range of private music, acting, dance, and production lessons & classes are taught at Performance WorX and auxiliary stage facilities. Our main location at 105 Richwood Drive in West Hattiesburg houses our private lessons, small group studies, and conservatory offices.
Our Music WorX program is open to ages 5 through 95, with private lessons and group classes limited to no more than 15 per class (so sign up while there are still openings!). Our program is designed as an academic program for general music training. Each Program of Study within Music WorX is planned and coordinated by the faculty so that there is harmony among the various disciplines and across the curriculum from one instrument to another. All teachers within each discipline use the same method and very similar pace so that there is no real difference in learning/performance outcomes regardless of whose Studio you study and work in! Find out more at the Classes & Registration tab up above.
WHY CHOOSE PERFORMANCE WORX?
- Performance WorX Faculty Members have their Bachelor's Degree (or are near completion) in the instrument they are teaching! Several have Masters and Doctorate Degrees in their field.
- Performance WorX Faculty Members TEACH & PERFORM their instrument as their PRINCIPLE VOCATION! That means they are focused on their Students' success -- because that's what they do. It's not a sideline for extra cash for any of our PROFESSIONAL FACULTY!
- Performance WorX Faculty Members are INSPIRING, FUN, and PACE-SETTING mentors and leaders in their field! Our Faculty teach all levels of Students — from beginning to advanced and professional coaching — in all genres: Classical, Folk, Gospel, Contemporary Christian, Rock/Pop, R&B -- you name it!!
- Performance WorX Faculty Members focus on best practices and latest innovations in teaching their instrument! Through performing, researching, preparing, and practicing the art of their instrument, they offer the very best possible to their students.
- Performance WorX provides performing arts education, enhanced technology for artistic expression, and a creative environment for real, inspired expression. Our environment and culture promote a spirit of artistry through lessons, classes, concerts, recitals, showcases, workshops, and conferences on the amateur, semiprofessional, and professional levels.
- The experienced and well-trained instructors at Performance WorX give highly individualized attention to their students. Our goal is to meet our Students at the point of their need, discover their innermost hidden talents, and to draw them to their highest level of artistry, whether that be personal enjoyment, performance coaching, or professional endeavors.
- The diverse Faculty at Performance WorX is experienced in working with artists at all levels, whether novices or professional performers, and all levels in between!
- All of Performance WorX Faculty are experienced performers and entertainers who inspire their students to do the same — whether rank beginners or experienced professionals depending upon PWX for coaching and placement!
This is why Performance WorX truly is the place “Where the Arts Come to Life!”
- Performance WorX Lessons and Classes are taught by appointment on a half-hour or hourly basis, Monday -- Friday from 2:30PM -- 9PM, and Saturday from 10AM -- 6PM.
- Performance WorX boasts five (5) teaching Studios, enabling us to take care of several family members at the same time in many instances and save mom's taxi a lot of frustration!
Performance WorX boasts FOUR soundproof Studios, The Percussion Lab, and access to large classroom spaces at X-Finity Dancel! We've also got a GREAT PARENTS' LOBBY with WIFI for your comfort while waiting for lessons and classes to finish. Multiple family members can attend different lessons and classes at the same time! PLUS — With all of this . . . We’re bound to offer SOMETHING of interest to every family member!
ANNUAL RECITALS: Performance WorX hosts its ANNUAL RECITAL each year on the THIRD SATURDAY of May. This auditioned performance gives our very best students the opportunity to showcase their talents and affords all of them a great stage experience!
CHRISTMAS RECITALS: Performance WorX hosts its CHRISTMAS RECITAL each year on the FIRST SATURDAY of December. This auditioned performance gives our very best students the opportunity to showcase their talents and affords all of them a great stage experience!
STUDIO RECITALS: All of our Studios provide regular in-house studio recital experiences each quarter so that Students get experience performing for one another. This gives our new performers a "light" first experience in front of others and our old hands a real boost of confidence.
SEMI-PROFESSIONAL & PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCES: Performance WorX actively cultivates relationships and offers its best students performance opportunities in local venues such as Chesterfield's, The Thirsty Hippo, Sully's, Hattiesburg Civic Light Opera, churches, schools, public events, and a host of other local and regional events. We've assisted several of our Students in preparation and recording of CDs and some have now gone on to national performing popularity and industry jobs as a result of their hard work in Performance WorX. Our program gives our very best students who are interested the opportunity to showcase their talents and affords all of them a great stage experience!
Check out our Student & Faculty performances and Recitals in the GALLERY!
Performance WorX offers all our member Students a FREE weekly 1 1/2 hour class in beginning Music Theory which includes the basics such as: note reading & the musical alphabet, rhythm & counting, ear training & pitch management, basic chord structure & form, and general musicianship. The Music Theory program greatly enhances our private lessons and speeds up the process of becoming a confident performer!
Relax and enjoy the lobby, a cup of Joe, free WIFI, and visiting with other Parents! There's also a Powder Room available, just in case. You can feel free to observe the lessons through our glass doors.
REAL, LIVE, ACTING TRAINING! From Shakespeare -- to Film/TV -- or Musical Theatre, in our Acting WorX Division, students will learn: Proper Use of the Voice in Acting; Basic Stagecraft; Stage Presence; Character Development; Monologues; Improv; Comedy; Music on the Stage; Overview of the Entertainment Industry; Audition/Interview Tips & Practice; and Musical Theatre. Through our Broadway Babies & Kids and It's Broadway Time! programs, students will begin, and become increasingly involved in, formal basic acting training for the Stage and the Film/TV Industry, for the different genres of musical theatre, and the skills needed for each, along with preparation for involvement in stage, film, and commercial acting. Students' knowledge with music, dance, and acting, in combined effort, will be enhanced and expanded. Through our Natural Talents 1 & 2 programs, Performance WorX community theatre involvement, and encouraged participation in professional theatrical organizations, students are led progressively through deeper and deeper levels of theatrical knowledge and skill, leading to the ability to develop agency relationships for placement and the possibility of a career in acting. Find out more at the Classes & Registration tab up above.
Performance WorX proudly partners with various dance studios in the Pine Belt area to mutually offer music and dance lesson options to our students. Call the Studio to find out more about dance in the area!
Production Classes | Studio Recording Services | Stage Sound/Lighting Production | Event Management
Performance WorX offers Production WorX classes and Mentoring Program and Production WorX also supervises all of the Performance WorX Recital and Showcase events. Production WorX focuses on the backstage, creative, and many times “unseen” elements of the entertainment industry. Students in the Production WorX division learn Visual Artistry, Photography/Videography, Graphic Design, Stagecraft (theory, design, construction, implementation), Stage Sound (production, direction, & operations), Stage Lighting (production, direction, & operations), and Stage Direction through lessons & classes as well as mentorships understudying our active Production WorX division personnel. We also offer Studio Recording Services, Stage Sound & Lighting Production Services, and Event Production Management on site. Call us to set up an appointment to discuss any of our Production Services at 601.336.5313. Find out more at the Classes & Registration tab up above.
TUITION & FEES
Tuition for private Performing Arts Lessons covers 48 (forty-eight) weeks of study from August 1 through July 15 annually, and is payable in 12 (twelve) equal monthly payments. Enrolling students are reserving their placement in the Conservatory for the entire year. The Enrollment Agreement is a firm commitment (Contract), and guarantees your place in the Conservatory. A fee of first month and Book/Activity Deposit is required at time of enrollment in order to reserve the lesson time. Tuition covers the following services:
- Private Conservatory Lessons
- Quarterly 2-Hour Group Performance Classes
- 2 Annual Recitals/Showcases and Performance Prep Time
- Instructor guidance and participation in external contests, recitals, and performance opportunities
- Access to the Performing Arts resources of the Conservatory
- Instructor Preparation and Planning Time for Individualized Study
Performance WorX offers THREE TUITION FEE PLANS: Annual Membership, Monthly with Annual Membership, & Month-to-Month. ALL TUITION PRICES LISTED ON REGISTRATION GRIDS ARE THE MONTHLY PRICE FOR THE ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP PLAN!!
Please CONTACT US for the other Fee Plan options!
NNUAL MEMBERSHIP (Optional)
There is an optional annual Registration/Membership fee of $125 per student, with a family cap of $375. The membership runs with the Studio Year: August 1 — July 15. This is charged at the time of registration. For registrations AFTER OCTOBER 31, the Registration/Membership is pro-rated at the amount of $10 per month. There is no registration fee for summer camps. THE REGISTRATION/MEMBERSHIP FEE allows the student to join into the Conservatory and receive ANNUALLY CONTRACTED lessons at a 30% discounted rate.
MEMBERSHIP IS NOT AN ANNUAL CONTRACT FOR LESSONS but instead, is an annual commitment to and FROM Performance WorX! It is possible to be a Member of Performance WorX, but NOT CURRENTLY ENROLLED in any classes! Membership renewals on each year CONTINUE fee schedules (FROM INITIAL REGISTRATION) and purchase Membership privileges for the year. If Membership lapses, Student must register with new Membership at prevailing tuition fee rates. BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP:
- 30% Discount on TUITION FEES!
- Priority Placement in Instructor assignment!
- Priority availability and pricing on all Performance WorX benefits and services offered.
- Free MUSIC THEORY LESSONS - Taught twice weekly & ANY MEMBER can attend these 60-minute classes (75% of Music Curriculum).
- Members are allowed an extra MAKE-UP LESSON per quarter with their primary Instructor.
- Access to all of the resources of Performance WorX.
- HALF HOUR (30 mins.) weekly -- $1,200.00 Annually -- $100.00 Monthly -- THAT'S ONLY $25.00 per lesson!
- FULL HOUR (1 hr.) weekly -- $2,400.00 Annually -- $200.00 Monthly -- THAT'S ONLY $50.00 per lesson!
- HALF HOUR (30 mins.) weekly -- $130.00 per month -- THAT'S ONLY $32.50 per lesson!
- FULL HOUR (1 hr.) weekly -- $260.00 per month -- THAT'S ONLY $65.00 per lesson!
- HALF HOUR (30 mins.) WEEKLY -- $142.00 per month -- THAT'S ONLY $35.50 per lesson!
- FULL HOUR (1hr.) WEEKLY -- $284.00 per month -- THAT'S ONLY $71.00 per lesson!
ANNUAL PRIVATE LESSONS WITH ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP (STUDIO YEAR COMMITMENT)
MONTHLY With MEMBERSHIP PRIVATE LESSONS (CANCEL LESSONS ON 1 MONTH NOTICE)
MONTH-TO-MONTH NON-MEMBER (CANCEL LESSONS ANY TIME)
ALL TUITION FEE PAYMENTS ARE DUE BY THE 10TH OF EACH MONTH.
YOU CAN NOW TRY US OUT FOR 90-DAYS NO STRINGS ATTACHED!
ONLY $125/MONTH FOR HALF HOUR WEEKLY & $250/MONTH FOR ONE-HOUR WEEKLY LESSONS.
Over the years, we have had the pleasure of nurturing countless brilliant students and bringing out their inherent talents for the entire world to see. Our commitment to producing world-class artists is evident through our high-caliber mentors, comprehensive artistic classes, and passion for the arts. Call us and start your journey towards artistic excellence today.
Owner & Dean of the Studios
Piano and Voice Instructor
Piano, Percussion, Woodwinds, & Brass Instructor
Music Theory Instructor